Internal Math Library of Numpy

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 10:37:22 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Nanime Puloski<npuloski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does Numpy use Python's standard math library when calculating
> elementary functions such as exp(x) and acos(x)?

It depends on the dtype: for fundamental types (float, int, etc...),
the underlying implementation is whatever the (C) math library
provides. If the functionality is not there, we have our own custom
implementation (but exp and acos happen to be mandatory - if they are
not detected, the build fail).

> Also, what is the
> internal library of Numpy and Python's standard math library? Is it
> platform independent?

I don't know for python, but for numpy, we have our own math library
on top of whatever the platform provides (which is not much on
windows, for example). There is an ongoing effort in numpy to provides
a portable, pure C (independent of the python runtime) math library.
The goal is to have a portable C99 math library, and more later
hopefully.

cheers,

David