If Scheme is so good why MIT drops it?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Jul 26 09:16:39 EDT 2009

In article <h4gnmr$8cl$1 at news.eternal-september.org>,
Raffael Cavallaro  <raffaelcavallaro at pas.espam.s.il.vous.plait.mac.com> wrote:
>On 2009-07-25 00:55:26 -0400, Carl Banks <pavlovevidence at gmail.com> said:
>>
>> But please don't put it on the same level as PHP.  Their situations
>> have almost nothing in common.
>
>Their situations have much in common; Python attracted programmers away
>from (for example) C++, becuse python is easier to master; Then php
>came along and attracted programmers away from (for example) python,
>because php is easier to master.

No, Python attracted programmers away from C++ because it's easier to
write good programs in it, in less time.  There are plenty of expert C++
programmers who switched to Python; your thesis only applies to the
legions of people who found it difficult to learn C++ in the first place.

Moreover, AFAIK PHP never attracted people away from Python; Python was
not particularly popular when PHP was in its heyday.  PHP attracted
people away from Perl and Java and C++.

I'm curious, do you actually know Python at all?  Have you used it for a
serious project?

"At Resolver we've found it useful to short-circuit any doubt and just
refer to comments in code as 'lies'. :-)"
--Michael Foord paraphrases Christian Muirhead on python-dev, 2009-03-22