I am trying to compile python 2.6.2 on my Mac

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Sun Jul 26 04:37:43 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Jessica R
Smith<jessica.1980.smith at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to compile Python 2.6.2 on my Mac which has os/x 10.5.7
>
> I downloaded python 2.6.2 from here:
>  - http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.2/Python-2.6.2.tar.bz2
>
> I unpacked it.
>
> I ran these shell commands:
>  - ./configure --prefix=/pt/p
>  - make
>
> Near the end of the make output I see this message:
>
> . Failed to find the necessary bits to build these modules:
> . _bsddb             gdbm               linuxaudiodev
> . ossaudiodev        readline           spwd
> . sunaudiodev
> . To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for
> the module's name.
>
> I looked in setup.py in detect_modules()
>
> It is not clear to me how to proceed.
>
> I think that I want the module: "readline"
>
> I doubt I need the other modules like linuxaudiodev, etc.
>
> If you have any clues or opinions on how I can build the module
> "readline",
> please feel free to share.

You need to install the GNU Readline library
(http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/readline/rltop.html), which the
module depends on.

You might consider installing Python through MacPorts or Fink instead,
as they automate the compilation and installation process and take
care of dependencies (such as GNU Readline) for you:
http://www.macports.org/
http://www.finkproject.org/

Cheers,
Chris