non-owning references?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jul 24 11:14:06 EDT 2009

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic at xemacs.org> writes:

> The term "variable" is used in the Python language reference and
> elsewhere

Yes. It should also be abundantly clear from the constant stream of
confused newbies on this point that its usage of that term is different
to what many expect from usage elsewhere.

> and is quite compatible with how other popular languages (Java, PHP,
> Lisp, ...) use it. Please stop complaining about valid terminology; it
> is not helpful.

I disagree with your assertions.

Rather than yet another round of this tedious debate, I merely point
interested readers to <URL:http://effbot.org/zone/python-objects.htm>
and ask them to draw their own conclusion on how compatible their
pre-existing “variable” concept is with Python's object reference
model.

--
 \     “Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end.” —Igor |
  `\                                                       Stravinskey |