2.3 missing on OSX

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Jul 23 17:14:50 EDT 2009

In article
<ce6d734d-620e-46c2-acea-8e48a71a93b6 at n11g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
 Laran Evans <laran.evans at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just tried to run MacVim on OSX 10.5. It crashed with this:
>
> Dyld Error Message:
>   Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
> Versions/2.3/Python
>   Referenced from: /Users/laran/Downloads/MacVim-7_2-stable-1_2/
> MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
>   Reason: image not found
>
> I posted to the MacVim mailing list and was told that that version of
> 2.3 should always be available because it comes with the OS.
>
> I don't remember if I removed it for whatever reason at some point or
> something. In any case, I have python installed now via MacPorts. I
> have version 2.3 and 2.5 both installed.
>
> So my question is, is there a way for me to fix the issue by re-
> instating the default 2.3 location or something?

If, in fact, /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3 is
empty or missing, you should restore it.   Rule of thumb: everything
under /System is installed and managed by Apple.  Don't remove things
from there!  I don't know of a particularly easy way to restore it,
short of hacking a Leopard installer image or re-installing OS X.  If
you have an unused external drive or partition, it might be easiest to
do a vanilla install of Leopard and all software updates, then, from the
terminal, do a ditto of that directory subtree back to your regular /.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org