If Scheme is so good why MIT drops it?

game_designer alex.repenning at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 13:54:26 EDT 2009

Perhaps like Xah Lee I find, after many years of Lisp programming,
these discussions increasingly frustrating and even, in some sense,
amazing. We can speculate all we want about syntax and semantics of
programing languages. What counts in the end are really the PRAGMATICS
of programming languages. How can I do something with a language that
is USEFUL to me? Will the result be good looking, and snappy or some
ugly, dated looking, crashing application? For instance, last time I
played with Scheme (drScheme) to explore some OpenGL 3D issue I was
not impressed at all. One can debate the syntax and semantics of
Scheme but in that particular instance all that was important to me
was the fact that the Scheme example performed terrible and the
threading fell completely apart when running more that a single OpenGL
window. Perhaps this was coded poorly but I don't care. Scheme left a
pretty bad impression.

alex

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado