challenging problem for changing to a dedicated non-privileged user within a script.

paul paul at subsignal.org
Thu Jul 23 09:32:10 EDT 2009

Krishnakant schrieb:
> On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 13:50 +0200, paul wrote:
>
>> If the user running python program is allowed to call setuid() then yes.
>>
> NO, i don't think i can do that.  I am getting opperation not permitted.
>
> Any ways I think probably subprocess will have to sort it out.
>
>> Did you try running "sudo -u postgres blabla" with subprocess?
>>
> Yes, but still not got the intended result which is now obvious.
Why is that obvious? Works for me:

---- test.py ---------
#!/usr/bin/python

from subprocess import Popen, PIPE

cmd = Popen('sudo -u vboxadd /home/pkoelle/Documents/whoami.sh',
shell=True, stdout=PIPE, stderr=PIPE)
print "OUT: "+cmd.stdout.read()
print "ERR: "+cmd.stderr.read()

---- whoami.sh -----
#!/bin/bash
echo $UID
logger "whoami script called for $UID"

Of course, you need to adapt path and user values to your situation. The
user you use in your 'sudo -u <user>...' call needs execute permissions
for whoami.sh. The relevant entry in /etc/sudoers:

pkoelle ALL=NOPASSWD: /home/pkoelle/Documents/whoami.sh

hth
  Paul

PS: This has absolutely nothing to do with "connecting to postgresql". A
"postgres user" is not a "system user" (Piet already asked the right
questions here ;)

>>> 2. now execute the python code for connecting to the postgresql