If Scheme is so good why MIT drops it?

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 15:35:52 EDT 2009

On Jul 22, 12:04 pm, Paul Rubin <http://phr...@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
> Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> writes:
> > > Why is that such an advantage?  Green threads work fine if you just
> > > organize the i/o system to never block.
>
> > Because then I don't have to organize the I/O system never to block.
>
> We're talking about what a language implementation does behind the
> scenes, I thought.

No we're not, we are talking about the whether GIL completely or only
partially undermines the use of native threads on Python.

I don't think your fantasy async-only all-green-thread langauge
implementation is possible anyway.  How would you wait on a pipe in
one thread, a socket in another, a semaphore in a third?  (Are there
any popular OSes that offer a unified polling interface to all
possible synchronizations?)  And what do you do about drivers or
libraries that make underlying blocking calls?  What if you have a
busy calculation going on in the background?

Carl Banks