binary literal

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Wed Jul 22 11:10:35 EDT 2009

superpollo wrote:

> i can insert a hex value for a character literal in a string:

> can i do something like the above, but using a *binary* number? (e.g.
> 00101101 instead of 45) ?
>
> bye

There's no way to get a binary value directly into a literal, but you
can convert one into a string value, as follows:

x = 0b00101101
print x
print chr(x)

output is:
  45
  -

Note that this is decimal 45, which is different than the hex 45 you
used in your first example.

For doing multiple characters, I can't see anything better than:

lis = [0b00101101, 0b01000101, 0b01100001]
print lis
s= "".join(chr(x) for x in lis)
print s

DaveA