PIL for OSX 64bit

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Jul 21 12:08:48 EDT 2009

In article
<e0564f03-f736-4d0f-8c50-e1bce0eb55f8 at r2g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
 moerchendiser2k3 <googler.1.webmaster at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> I have a problem with Python and the Python Image Library to get it
> work on OSX 64 bit. Maybe anyone can help me? I started Python in 64
> bit mode and called Image.open(...).load() and got:
>
> ImportError: The _imaging C module is not installed
[...]

It's hard to know what your problem is without more information.  One
potential stumbling block: PIL has dependencies on other open-source
libraries, such as libjpeg and freetype.  You'll need to have 64-bit
versions of them available when building and when running, as well.
There are a number of ways to do that.  The simplest might be to
download pre-built frameworks containing those libraries from here:

http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:frameworks

There are also build scripts there for building your own versions from
scratch.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org