any suggestions to synchronize typed text and speech ?

Che M cmpython at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 02:11:33 EDT 2009

On Jul 19, 4:15 pm, Stef Mientki <stef.mien... at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> I'm using Scintilla as a wxPython widget with great pleasure.
> I now have an application where I want to make notes during a conversation,
> but also want to record the speech during that conversation.
> I'm using Scintilla as a wxPython widget for editing and PyAudio for the
> speech recording,
> until so far everything works fine.
>
> Here the problem part:
> I need to synchronize the typed text with the sound during playback.
> So if I click somewhere in the sound recording,
> the line of text, typed that moment should be highlighted.
> And vise versa, if the cursor in the text is moved and some special key
> is pressed,
> the sound starting 10 or 20seconds earlier should be playbacked.
>
> I though of adding bookmarks (because these are fixed in the text), and
> keep a list of bookmarks and sound pointers.
> This idea should work, but there are only 31 bookmarks.
>
> Any other suggestions ?
>
> thanks,
> Stef Mientki

Stef, it occurs to me now that you might be useful to look at
Transana:
http://www.transana.org/

>From their site:

Transana is software for professional researchers who want to
analyze digital video or audio data. Transana lets you analyze
and manage your data in very sophisticated ways. Transcribe it,
identify analytically interesting clips, assign keywords to clips,
arrange and rearrange clips, create complex collections of
interrelated clips, explore relationships between applied keywords,
and share your analysis with colleagues.

It is written in Python, uses Scintilla, and is open source (GPL):
http://www.transana.org/developers/index.htm

Che