TypeError: unbound method

Fri Jul 17 03:56:07 EDT 2009

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 18:08:45 -0700, Chris Rebert wrote:

> You're trying to call an instance method on the class itself, which
> doesn't make sense.

Oh I don't know, people do it all the time -- just not the way the OP
did :)

> You need to first create an instance of the class to invoke the method
> on. i.e.:
>
> instance = TheClass(constuctor_arguments_here)
> var1 = instance.method()

Or explicitly pass an instance to the method when calling from the class:

TheClass.method(TheClass(constuctor_arguments_here))

Which strangely enough, is useful at times.

class K(parent):
    def method(self, args):
        x = parent.method(self, args)
        return x + 1