mail

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid
Wed Jul 15 15:05:30 EDT 2009

On 2009-07-15, amrita at iisermohali.ac.in <amrita at iisermohali.ac.in> wrote:

> Sorry that I am disturbing you all again and again but this is the way I
> am trying to solve my problem:---

We could probably be a lot more helpful if you would keep these
postings all in a single thread so that people who didn't read
the first postings knew what you were talking about in
subsequent postings.

> [...]
>
> file is something lookin like:-----
>
>  47     8   ALA       H     H      7.85     0.02     1

[...]

IMO you're making a mistake using the "re" module for this
task.  I think you'd be a lot better off if you just used the
string type's split method to split each line up into fields
and processed the individual fields:

  for line in inputfile:

      field = line.split()

      if field[2] == "CA":
         <<do whatever with whichever fields you care about>>
      elif field[2] == "soemthing-else"
         <<do something else with some other fields>>

  <<print results of doing whatever and something else above>>

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! If I felt any more
                                  at               SOPHISTICATED I would DIE