why did you choose the programming language(s)you currently use?

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Wed Jul 15 02:21:21 EDT 2009

On Jul 14, 1:47�pm, Paul Rubin <http://phr...@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
> Mensanator <mensana... at aol.com> writes:
> > - unlimited precision integers
> > - easy to program
> > - IDE not required
> > - reasonable speed
> > - math library needs to include number theoretic functions
> > � like GCD, LCM, Modular Inverse, etc.
> > - not fucking retarded like F#
>
> Have you looked at Haskell?
>
> > As for negatives, the GMP library doesn't factor.
>
> Maybe with some MIRACL bindings...

That's the factoring program (factor.exe from
the MIRACL package) I made reference to.

I don't know how to fix the bug nor how to bind
it to Python.

What I do (or did at one time) know is how figure
out how to recompile it, change the output to be
database compatible, consistent messages rather
than such useless messages as "this number is prime".

The Python program, as it captures the StdOut,
can watch for the bug. The bug is that factor.exe
occasionally gets stuck on a composite while deep
into the factoring process. Sometimes, however,
this getting stuck can be resolved if you send the
composite back to the beginning and start over.
The factor.exe program isn't smart enough to try
this, it simply returns COMPOSITE amongst the
PRIME_FACTORS. The calling Python program can then
collect the unfactored composites and call factor.exe
again with each of them sending them back to the
start of the factoring. If they successfully factor
on the second pass, Python then appends them to
the factors from the first pass to achieve a complete
factorization that factor.exe can produce in theory
but not in practice.