Why not enforce four space indentations in version 3.x?

gslindstrom gslindstrom at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 07:10:17 EDT 2009

On Jul 10, 2:22 pm, walterbyrd <walterb... at iname.com> wrote:
> I believe Guido himself has said that all indentions should be four
> spaces - no tabs.
>
> Since backward compatibility is being thrown away anyway, why not
> enforce the four space rule?

There is a routine in the Scripts directory, reindent.py, that will
take your source file(s) and remove tabs, unify the indents to 4-
spaces, remove needless characters at the end of lines, etc.  IIRC, it
was written by Tim Peters.  We run all of our source files though
before checking them into svn.

--greg