tough-to-explain Python

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Jul 9 11:16:30 EDT 2009

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> There is some evidence that 30-60% of people simply cannot learn to
> program, no matter how you teach them:
>
> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000635.html
> http://www.cs.mdx.ac.uk/research/PhDArea/saeed/
>
> I'm sympathetic to the idea, but not entirely convinced. Perhaps the
> problem isn't with the students, but with the teachers, and the
> languages:
>
> http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/papers/PDF/SevenDeadlySins.pdf
>
> (My money is that it's a little of both.)

Very interesting articles.  Not suprising (to me, at least) -- everybody
has their strengths and weaknesses.  I will never be, and could never
have been, any kind of sports person;  I don't have the right
personality to be a good people person;  I don't have the knack for
writing stories.  Not everyone can do anything, or even many things.

~Ethan~