tough-to-explain Python

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Thu Jul 9 09:47:53 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Simon Forman<sajmikins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Everyone gets so caught up in programming via languages that
> you get, well, people trying to teach "Computer Programming" as if it
> were only necessary to grok a language, rather than grokking /symbol
> manipulation/ itself.

+1 QOTW.

I'm a CS major and this is exactly what I see happening in the intro
to CS courses. In class, the "Intro to Programming" students are
showed how to write Java code. Then they try their homework and are
completely lost because they were never taught how to think like a
programmer so they don't understand how to approach the question.