DBI module deprecated at Python 2.5--what to use in its place?

dana dana_at_work at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 8 06:25:33 EDT 2009

On Jul 8, 12:30 am, John Machin <sjmac... at lexicon.net> wrote:
> Deprecated certainly doesn't mean removed.
> For a start, none of (DBI, ODBC, dbi, odbc) are standard Python-
> supplied modules. Perhaps you are referring to the odbc (and dbi) from
> the pywin32 package? Where did you get them from? If you can't
> remember, try this:

Thanks John. I mean the lower-case dbi and odbc modules from pywin32.
Sorry for being vague. I assumed incorrectly they were part of the
standard library because they came with pywin32.

> If this is what you're talking about, you should be asking on the
> pywin32 dicussion list (http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-
> win32).

Thanks again.

> General advice: if you are thinking of upgrading your Python version,
> go straight to 2.6. odbc is AFAIK stuck at version 1.0 of the Python
> DB API; consider switching to pyodbc (http://code.google.com/p/
> pyodbc/)

Thanks thrice.

We "have" to use the version of Python our software vendor supports.
Presently, that's pywin32 version 2.5.

Dana