Python/pyobjC Apps on iPhone now a possibility?

J Kenneth King james at agentultra.com
Tue Jul 7 17:21:26 EDT 2009

Dr Mephesto <dnhkng at googlemail.com> writes:

> Sure, I am learning Objective C already, but the syntax is really
> unfriendly after python.
>
> I think it really depends on the type of app you want to write.
> Anything held back by network delays or that sits around waiting for
> user input are perfectly acceptable target apps. If you need speed for
> something really intensive, falling back to C is still much nicer than
> coding in Objective C. I agree that having a certain basic
> understanding of objective C is a must, but having the option to use a
> coder-friendly language like Ruby or Python can cut development time
> dramatically.
>
> If Ruby can do it (and it generally slower than python), why can
> Python also get a legal iPhone interpreter?

It can if you want to write the interpreter.

I just don't see the point.

I can understand wanting a higher level language than assembler or maybe
even C, but that's precisely what Objective-C is.

Unfortunately, while the hardware for these mobile platforms is getting
better these days, it's still not where it needs to be to run programs
written in interpreted languages, IMO.  Users typically only interact
with an app for around two minutes at a time.  Your app needs to be as
fast as it can be.  It's one of the few areas of software development
today where optimizations can be justified (the other are games and
scientific computing).

Trust me, if there were an SMS app for the iPhone that loaded faster
than the one that ships with it, guaranteed it would sell like hot-cakes
(if Apple would let it in the store of course).

If you do write the interpreter, let me know.  I would certainly
experiment with it.