Where does setuptools live?

Inky 788 inky788 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 14:01:45 EDT 2009

On Jul 7, 4:06 am, Chris Withers <ch... at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> David Lyon wrote:
>
> > What hasn't happened is enough testing of pypi packages and installing
> > with setuptools/pip/enstall from pypi.
>
> What needs testing?
>
> More important for me is which of these has the most active development
> community. How do we judge that?

Currently, distutils itself is being actively developed. More info
about this here: http://tarekziade.wordpress.com/

My (albeit anonymous) advice is: use distutils. Manually download
packages as-needed from PyPI and install manually using standard
distutils.

Read more about distutils here http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils
and of course in the Python docs.

If you want to contribute, my first guess would be that Tarek could
use help writing tests (but I don't know what distutils coverage looks
like at the moment).

When Tarek says, "For package installation that takes care of
dependencies, uninstall, etc., use $tool", then I'll start using
$tool. Until then, it's just straight distutils for me.