Where does setuptools live?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Jul 7 04:06:49 EDT 2009

David Lyon wrote:
> setuptools... as far as I can see isn't actually installed until you
> install easyinstall...

That depends... I exclusively use buildout to manage my python packages,
and sadly that relies on setuptools...

> Pip (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip) and enstall
> (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Enstaller/3.1.0) seem to be forks of
> setuptools already...
>
> So it looks like it's already been forked to some degree..
>
> What hasn't happened is enough testing of pypi packages and installing
> with setuptools/pip/enstall from pypi.

What needs testing?

More important for me is which of these has the most active development
community. How do we judge that?

> If the xmlrpc links actually "worked" on pypi...

What about it doesn't work?

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk