Clarity vs. code reuse/generality

Mon Jul 6 21:01:44 EDT 2009

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 14:32:10 +0200, Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:

> kj wrote:
>>  I've rewritten it like this:
>>
>>     sense = cmp(func(hi), func(lo))
>>     assert sense != 0, "func is not strictly monotonic in [lo, hi]"
>>
>> Thanks for your feedback!
>>
>> kj
>>

> As already said before, unlike other languages, sense in english does
> **not** mean direction. You should rewrite this part using a better
> name. Wrong informations are far worse than no information at all.

Absolutely.

>From Webster's Dictionary:

      8. (Geom.) One of two opposite directions in which a line,
      surface, or volume, may be supposed to be described by the
      motion of a point, line, or surface.
      [1913 Webster]

And from WordNet:

     2: the meaning of a word or expression; the way in which a word
        or expression or situation can be interpreted

Both meanings are relevant to the way KJ is using the word. Please take
your own advice and stop giving wrong information. As a native English
speaker, I had no difficulty understanding the meaning of "sense" in the
sense intended by KJ.

--
Steven