A Bug By Any Other Name ...

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 04:30:03 EDT 2009

On Jul 6, 5:56 pm, Tim Golden <m... at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> > In this case, a note in the documentation warning about the potential
> > confusion would be fine.
>
> The difficulty here is knowing where to put such a warning.
> You obviously can't put it against the "++" operator as such
> because... there isn't one. You could put it against the unary
> plus operator, but who's going to look there? :)

The problem is: where do you stop? If you're going to add something to
the documentation to address every expectation someone might hold
coming from another language, the docs are going to get pretty big.

I think a language should be intuitive within itself, but not be
required to be intuitable based on _other_ languages (unless, of
course, that's an objective of the language). If I expect something in
language-A to operate the same way as completely-unrelated-language-B,
I'd see that as a failing on my behalf, especially if I hadn't read
language-A's documentation first. I'm not adverse to one language
being _explained_ in terms of another, but would much prefer to see
those relegated to "Python for <x> programmers" articles rather than
in the main docs themselves.