finding most common elements between thousands of multiple arrays.

Sat Jul 4 15:51:58 EDT 2009

mclovin wrote:
> OK then. I will try some of the strategies here but I guess things
> arent looking too good. I need to run this over a dataset that someone
> pickled. I need to run this 480,000 times so you can see my
> frustration. So it doesn't need to be "real time" but it would be nice
> it was done sorting this month.
>
> Is there a "bet guess" strategy where it is not 100% accurate but much
> faster?

Well, I timed a run of a version of mine, and the scan is approx 5X
longer than the copy-and-sort.  Time arr_of_arr.flatten().sort() to
see how quickly the copy and sort happens.So you could try a variant
exploiting the following property:
     If you know the minimum length of a run that will be in the top 25,
then the value for each of the most-frequent run entries must show up at
positions n * stride and (n + 1) * stride (for some n).  That should
drastically reduce the scan cost, as long as stride is reasonably large.

For my uniformly distributed 0..1024 values in 5M x 5M array,
About 2.5 sec to flatten and sort.
About 15 sec to run one of my heapish thingies.
the least frequency encountered: 24716
so, with stride at

sum(flattened[:-stride:stride] == flattened[stride::stride]) == 1000
So there are only 1000 points to investigate.
With any distribution other than uniform, that should go _way_ down.
So just pull out those points, use bisect to get their frequencies, and
feed those results into the heap accumulation.

--Scott David Daniels