strange python scripting error

Mark Tarver dr.mtarver at ukonline.co.uk
Thu Jul 23 11:48:46 EDT 2009

I have a very strange error.  I have two test python files test.py and
python.py which contain the following code

#!/usr/bin/python
print "Content-type: text/html"
print
print "<html>"
print "<center>Hello, Linux.com!</center>"
print "</html>"

One file (test.py) works; you call it up and it shows a web page with

Hello, Linux.com

The other fails with a server configuration error.  Both are running
under Linux, same server, same permissions.  Running a character scan
shows that both files contain the same printable characters and are
therefore typographically identical.   They are absolutely the same.

The only hint at a difference I can see is that my ftp program says
the files are of unequal lengths.  test.py is 129 bytes long.
python.py 134 bytes long.

A zipped folder containing both files is at

www.lambdassociates.org/weird.zip

Any ideas welcome.

Mark