Workflow Libraries (DB vs Code)

Thomas Guettler hv at tbz-pariv.de
Tue Jul 21 10:27:27 EDT 2009

Hi,

I need to write some simple workflows with web interface.

For the web stuff I will use django, but I am not sure how
to do the workflow part.

Here are ideas:

Do it myself. I don't think it will be difficult, I did things like
this before. But they were not reusable.

Use spiff Workflow library http://code.google.com/p/spiff-workflow/

Use goflow for django (port of OpenFlow of Zope). It does not look like a active project.

Has anyone worked with spiff, goflow or other workflow software? What do you like and
dislike?

Somehow I like it the way goflow does it: The process definitions are stored
in the database. But on the other hand I prefer to have things like this in
a SVN-Repository.

Creating the workflow definitions will be done by python programmers. I don't need
a GUI to build them.

There are many languages to define processes (BPML, XPDL, BPEL or YAWL). But I prefer python.

Feedback welcome,

  Thomas

--
Thomas Guettler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/