On out-of-date Python Applications

Virgil Stokes vs at it.uu.se
Sun Jul 19 04:04:10 EDT 2009

I am not a heavy user of Python; but, I do work with it and some of its
application packages (e.g. PyODE), in an academic setting.
Many of these applications packages have a Windows installer which
usually works fine. However, I also try to keep up with the latest
release of Python, and this is where I often have problems. That is, the
latest Windows installer provided for some of these applications will
not install on the latest version of Python.

I do understand that there can be a time lag between the release of
Python applications and the latest Python. I also appreciate the work of
the people that are responsible for these applications.

My question is --- Is there anything I, as a user of an application
package that is out-of-date with respect to the latest Python, can do to
help in this process of bringing an application  up-to-date?

--V. Stokes