How to check if any item from a list of strings is in a big string?

inkhorn matt.dubins at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 9 21:36:05 EDT 2009

Hi all,

For one of my projects, I came across the need to check if one of many
items from a list of strings could be found in a long string.  I came
up with a pretty quick helper function to check this, but I just want
to find out if there's something a little more elegant than what I've
cooked up.  The helper function follows:

def list_items_in_string(list_items, string):
    for item in list_items:
        if item in string:
            return True
    return False

So if you define a list x = ['Blah','Yadda','Hoohoo'] and a string y =
'Yip yip yippee Blah' and you run list_items_in_string(x, y), it
should return True.

Any ideas how to make that function look nicer? :)

Matt Dubins