regex help

David david.bramer at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 8 18:06:22 EDT 2009

Hi

I have a few regexs I need to do, but im struggling to come up with a
nice way of doing them, and more than anything am here to learn some
tricks and some neat code rather than getting an answer - although
thats obviously what i would like to get to.

Problem 1 -

                id="ref_678774_cp">(25.47%)</span><br>

I want to extract 25.47 from here - so far I've tried -

xPer = re.search('<span class="chg" id="ref_"'+str(xID.group(1))+'"_cp
\">(.*?)%', content)

and

xPer = re.search('<span class=\"chg\" id=\"ref_"+str(xID.group(1))+"_cp
\">\((\d*)%\)</span><br>', content)

neither of these seem to do what I want - am I not doing this
correctly? (obviously!)

Problem 2 -

I want to extract the open, mkt cap and P/E values - but apart from
doing loads of indivdual REs which I think would look messy, I can't
think of a better and neater looking way. Any ideas?

Cheers

David