Compiling 64 bit python on a mac - cannot compute sizeof (int)

Keflavich keflavich at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 12:30:21 EDT 2009

I'm trying to compile a 64 bit version of python 2.6.2 on my mac (OS X
10.5.7), and am running into a problem during the configure stage.

I configure with:
./configure --enable-framework=/Library/Frameworks --enable-
universalsdk MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5 --with-universal-archs=all -
with-readline-dir=/usr/local

because I want 64 and 32 bit, and I needed to install a 64 bit
readline as a prerequisite.

configure fails at:
checking size of int... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (int)

I'm not reporting this as a bug because I know it's a problem with my
path somewhere (a friend with an identical computer but slightly
different setup was able to compile without a problem), but I don't
know what paths to change.  Any tips?

Thanks,
Adam