problem installing python 2.6.2 from tarball

Paul Simon psimon at sonic.net
Wed Jul 1 17:16:18 EDT 2009

I have just finished going through the usual ./configure, make, etc. and now
have a load of stuff in my home directory that I think doesn't belong there.
Apparently I did the installation from my home directory (linux) and have a
directory  in my home directory "Python2.6.2" with subdirectories like
"build", "Demo", "Doc", "Include", "Lib", etc.  There are many files under
/usr/bin/local/  which appear to be duplicates.

This looks like a mess to me and would like some help to sort this out.

Paul Simon