Ubigraph vs Matplotlib (dynamic plotting, event handling)

Che M cmpython at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 13:24:27 EDT 2009

On Jun 30, 6:20 pm, Ala <shaib... at ymail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I intend to use python for some network graph plotting, with event
> handling (clicking on network nodes, zooming in/out etc..) and so far I
> have come across two good candidates which are Matplotlib and Ubigraph.
>
> Did anyone have any experience with either of them for dynamic plotting
> (a slider bar on a Qt interface causing the graph to be replotted for
> each value for example), as well as event handling? (it seems on first
> notice that Ubigraph will have an upperhand on that), as well as event
> handling such as mouse clicks? (on this one Matplotlib has good
> documentation showing it does achieve that while I find ubigraph's
> documentation lacking, but I'd preffere to have the opinion of those
> who have used them before).
>
> Thank you.

I have used Matplotlib for both uses.  It has a built-in toolbar that
allows for changing the plot (zoom, pan, etc), and has good support
for point picking (clicking on a datapoint to do send an event).  You
could probably connect the QT slider to the zoom function without much
trouble, and Matplotlib is embeddable in QT GUIs.