Tutorial on working with Excel files in Python (without COM and cross platform!) at PyConUS 2009

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Sat Jan 31 21:18:08 EST 2009

On approximately 1/27/2009 5:19 PM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Chris Withers:
> Hi All,
>
> Too many people in the Python community think the only way to work with
> Excel files in Python is using COM on Windows.
>
> To try and correct this, I'm giving a tutorial at this year's PyCon in
> Chicago on Wednesday, 25th March that will cover working with Excel
> files in Python using the pure-python libraries xlrd, xlwt and xlutils.
>
> I'll be looking to cover:
>
> - Reading Excel Files
>
>   Including formatting, unicode dates and formulae.
>
> - Writing Excel Files
>
>   Including formatting with easyxf and things like freeze pains, print
>   areas, etc
>
> - Filtering Excel Files
>
>   A run through on the structure of xlutils.filter and some examples to
>   show you how it works.
>
> - Workshop for your problems
>
>   I'm hoping anyone who attends will get a lot out of this! If you're
>   planning on attending and have a particular problem you'd like to work
>   on in this part of the tutorial, please drop me an email and I'll try
>   and make sure I come prepared!
>
> All you need for the tutorial is a working knowledge of Excel and
> Python, with a laptop as an added benefit, and to be at PyCon this year:
>
> http://us.pycon.org
>
> I look forward to seeing you all there!

Good luck with the tutorial.  I can't use xlrd because it doesn't
support comments.  So I use Open Office basic macros to transform the
data into a usable form.  At least it is way faster than COM, and
(although I'm using Windows) I think it could be done on Linux.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/