glob.fnmatch (was "search speed")

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sat Jan 31 08:45:46 EST 2009

rdmurray at bitdance.com wrote:
> Quoth Tim Chase <tim at thechases.com>:
>> PS:  as an aside, how do I import just the fnmatch function?  I
>> tried both of the following and neither worked:
>>
>>    from glob.fnmatch import fnmatch
>>    from glob import fnmatch.fnmatch
>>
>> I finally resorted to the contortion coded below in favor of
>>    import glob
>>    fnmatch = glob.fnmatch.fnmatch
>
> What you want is:
>
>     from fnmatch import fnmatch

Oh, that's head-smackingly obvious now...thanks!

My thought process usually goes something like

"""
I want to do some file-name globbing

there's a glob module that looks like a good place to start

hmm, dir(glob) tells me there's a fnmatch thing that looks like
what I want according to help(glob.fnmatch)

oh, the fnmatch() function is inside this glob.fnmatch thing

so, I want glob.fnmatch.fnmatch()
"""

It never occurred to me that fnmatch was its own importable
module.  <sheepish grin>

-tkc