search speed

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Fri Jan 30 15:22:16 EST 2009

D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy <at> druid.net> writes:

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:46:33 +0200
> Justin Wyer <justinwyer <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > $ find <path_to_dirs_containing_files> -name "*" -exec grep -nH "LF01" {} \;
> > | cut -d ":" -f 1 | sort | uniq
>
> I know this isn't a Unix group but please allow me to suggest instead;
>
>   $ grep -lR LF01 <path_to_dirs_containing_files>

and if the OP is on Windows: an alternative to cygwin is the GnuWin32 collection
of Gnu utilities ported to Windows. See http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/ ...
you'll want the Grep package but I'd suggest the CoreUtils package as worth a
detailed look, and do scan through the whole list of packages while you're there.

HTH,
John