Does the Python community really follow the philospy of "Community Matters?"

r rt8396 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 01:24:09 EST 2009

On Jan 29, 11:53 pm, James Mills <prolo... at shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 3:38 PM, r <rt8... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This observation leads me to two scientific and common sense synopsis.
> > Either nobody here gives a rats pa'toote about Python, and/or they are
> > all just a bunch of gutless worms too afraid to stand up to the 10 or
> > so Perl/Ruby leeches who's infestation slowly drains the life-blood
> > out of the Python Community, keeping it too weak to fight back.
> > <dospesos>
>
> I for one am not e member of either the Perl or Ruby
> fan club - and I don't think I will ever be :) However I"m not
> going to go and start bagging those languages :) I prefer Python!
>
> I think you'll find a 3rd scenario:
>
> Python developers (those that develop Python)
> and Python programmers (those that use Python)
> just don't really care about politics, protest and
> all the rubbish that goes on in this list :)
>
> cheers
> James

I totally agree James. I not saying anybody should just go around
bashing this or that language, but i have seen many a ruffled feather
at the mere mention of Python's greatness. I could understand if
someone went over to the Perl group and started parroting off "Python
rules!, Perl sucks!". This should be condemned. But i have also seen
at this group very viscous attacks on people who just simply think
Python is a good language and want to tell their Python friends how
happy they are -- myself included.

People would call a happy user of Python a fanboy or a Python zealot.
This blows me away in the context of this group. check out this
thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/d15ed72979ba20f7/6195c98209dcc852?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=python+is+great#6195c98209dcc852

Here a happy python user shared his thoughts on the Python language.
He compared Python as "more readable" than Perl and by god he is right
about that, no sane person can honestly deny this fact. But like
always some angry responses and warnings followed that this person
should not criticize Perl, and veil threats were cast.

This is the madness i refer too.