Sloooooowwwww WSGI restart

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Thu Jan 29 04:03:29 EST 2009

Ron Garret a écrit :
> I'm running a WSGI app under apache/mod_wsgi and I've noticed that
> whenever I restart the server after making a code change it takes a very
> long time (like a minute) before the script is active again.  In other
> words, I do an apachectl restart, reload the page in my browser, and one
> minute later it finally comes up.  During this time CPU usage is
> essentially zero.  Loading all the code manually into a python
> interpreter is virtually instantaneous, and all subsequence interactions
> with the app are very fast.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on or how to debug this?

Restarting apache (with or without mod_wsgi) can by itself take some time.

Now, if you're running mod_wsgi in daemon mode, you _don't_ have to
restart apache to reload your code - just touch the wsgi script file and
you'll be done, ie with:

   WSGIProcessGroup myproject.tld
   WSGIDaemonProcess myproject.tld user=you group=you
   WSGIReloadMechanism Process
   WSGIScriptAlias / /var/www/myproject/apache/myapp.py

you just have to touch myapp.py to force reload the subinterpreter(s).