Python Application Server

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Tue Jan 27 23:42:16 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Adi Eyal <adi at digitaltrowel.com> wrote:
> Could anyone recommend a python application server? My application
> consists mainly of long running background processes that need to
> communicate with each other. Features on my wishlist include, process
> pooling (each process will in general be stateless), monitoring,
> scheduling and a framework for inter-process communication. Ideally, I
> would also like to be able to cluster the app server if the need
> arises. I have never used Zope or Webware, but my impression is that
> these servers are focused on web applications with a short
> request-response cycle. My usage will be different since my processes
> will be triggered by certain events and then continue running until
> they complete, without sending any response at all but possibly
> spawning off additional processes in a workflow.
>
> I hope my description has been clear. Does such an application server
> exist for python?

Might I recommend circuits (1) as a general purpose
framework that you can build your application on top of.

circuits will allow you to communicate with long-running
background processes, communicate between processes
(by way of a Bridge). All communication in circuits is
asyncroneous. circuits has also recently seen the integration
of the multiprocessing package from python 2.6/3.0 so you
can create processes and have inter-process communication
seamlessly. In fact, parts of your system can even run on other
nodes (you mentioned clustering).

Feel free to talk to me more about this in detail...

cheers
James

1. http://pypi.python.org/pypi/circuits/