Recommendation for a small web framework like Perl's CGI::Application to run as CGI?

Graham Dumpleton Graham.Dumpleton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 20:52:35 EST 2009

On Jan 28, 11:28 am, James Mills <prolo... at shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM, excord80 <excor... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, let's see. I don't need a templating library, since -- as you
> > pointed out -- I can just use Python's own. I don't need a db
> > interface (can just make my own dbapi calls if needed). Don't need url
> > mapping (can just use mod_rewrite rules in my .htaccess to point at my
> > cgi scripts). Don't think I need any i80n. And I don't need an admin
> > interface. ... It would seem that I don't need a whole lot at the
> > moment.
>
> One option is to configure Apache withmod_wsgiand just
> use WSGI. Fairly simple really and much like CGI.

Worth highlighting with mod_wsgi is that you also don't have to have
everything inside of one WSGI application and can still use CGI like
approach of lots of WSGI script files. That is, you are relying on
Apache dispatching of URLs for file based resources and thus no Python
specific dispatcher needed, nor mod_rewrite rules.

Because each WSGI script files is given their own persistent sub
interpreter by default, with this approach you probably though want to
force them to all run in same sub interpreter to reduce memory usage.
This can be done using WSGIApplicationGroup directive.

For further information see:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ConfigurationGuidelines#The_Apache_Alias_Directive

Graham