New to python, open source Mac OS X IDE?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Jan 27 18:29:07 EST 2009

In article
<0f1ee3b4-e4c1-4ae4-9d6d-1184c6e20ce3 at i24g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 "joseph.a.marlin at gmail.com" <joseph.a.marlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings! I've heard enough raving about Python, I'm going to see for
> myself what all the praise is for!
>
> I'm on a Mac. I use Netbeans for Java, PHP, and C if needed. Do you
> even use an IDE for Python?
>
> Any recommendations on open source Python environments?

Well, there's IDLE that comes packaged with most Python distributions
(today must be IDLE day).  It may not be on your default path, though.
If you are using the python Apple includes with OS X 10.5, you should be
able to launch it from a terminal shell with:

   /usr/bin/python/../idle

There is also a separate discussion group for Python on Macs:

<http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.apple>

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org