change syntax coloring in IDLE

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Jan 27 15:58:11 EST 2009

In article
<77e831100901271207o4117998cqc35c3b62fdbb15b5 at mail.gmail.com>,
 Vincent Davis <vincent at vincentdavis.net> wrote:
> I am using "EPD with Py2.5 4.0.30002"when I try to launch IDLE.app which is
> in the above folder i get  -bash: IDLE.app: command not found
> which is strange because when I do ls it is listed.
> the path to the folder is
> /Applications/EPD\ with\ Py2.5\ 4.0.30002
> ls returns
> Build Applet.app Mayavi.terminal
> Docs Pylab.terminal
> Examples Python Launcher.app
> Extras Update Shell Profile.command
> IDLE.app
>
> Then I do/get
> vincent-daviss-macbook-pro:EPD with Py2.5 4.0.30002 vmd$ IDLE.app
> -bash: IDLE.app: command not found
>
> Not sure what I am doing wrong

You can't launch an OSX application bundle from a shell that way.  You
could use /usr/bin/open but that should give the same results as
double-clicking on the IDLE icon.

I don't have personal experience with EPD distribution but there should
be a command line binary of idle included. Try this from a Terminal
shell:

$ cd `python -c 'import sys; print sys.prefix'`
$ bin/idle

If you can change and save the preferences that way, they should then
apply to IDLE no matter how you launch it.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org