How many followers of comp.lang.python

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Tue Jan 27 10:52:30 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:42 AM, rantingrick <rantingrick at gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems like the only thing people are interested in is bickering and
> name calling. I noticed the post "Does Python really follow..." has
> over 400 post mainly from the same 10 people. Maybe this is why Guido
> no longer wishes to be a part of this group. Where is the sense of
> community here?
>

> Anybody care to correct me, because i would love to be wrong about
> this, but i fear i am 100% correct.

there is a sense of community here. It just doesn't extend to everyone
joining in the flame war. That particular thread  moved from talking about
difficult to read python code to a not very friendly debate about whether
Python needs to have enforced data hiding to be a good language. After the
first couple hundred posts and when the name calling started, I, for one,
started ignoring those posts.