Doc for extended call syntax; was: Re: unzip array of arrays?

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Tue Jan 27 09:25:51 EST 2009

Mark Wooding wrote:
> Steve Holden writes:
>
>> No, you aren't mistaken. Looking at the "*" symbol in the 2.6
>> documentation index it lists only two references. The first is the
>> language manual's explanation of its use in the def statement, the
>> second is a transitory reference to its use in function calls, but
>> that's in the tutorial where it is not likely to get much attention.
>
> There's a full description of it in 5.4.3 in the Language Reference, but
> apparently not indexed.

So I guess this means I can duck out of writing up a lecture on my own
understanding of Python's extended call syntax. Great.

I think I grock the extended call syntax, and when the question came up
I was surprised not to be able to find where I learned it. Mark, where
exactly does one look to see this "full description"?

--
--Bryan