unable to print Unicode characters in Python 3

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jan 26 17:42:55 EST 2009

> I was hoping to find something that allows me to print any Unicode
> character on the console.

You will have to debug the Python interpreter to find out what's
going wrong in code page 65001. Nobody has ever resolved that mystery,
although it's been known for some time.

If you merely want to see *something* (and not actually the glyph
for the character (*)):

py> print(ascii('\u20ac'))
'\u20ac'

should work fine.

Regards,
Martin

(*) Windows doesn't support displaying *all* unicode characters even
in code page 65001, nor is it reasonable to expect it to. It can, at
best, only display those characters it has glyphs for in the font
that it is using. As Unicode constantly evolves, the fonts necessarily
get behind. Plus, in a fixed-size font, some characters just don't
render too well.