unable to print Unicode characters in Python 3

jefm jef.mangelschots at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 16:26:56 EST 2009

>As Benjamin Kaplin said, Windows terminals use the old cp1252 character
>set, which cannot display the euro sign. You'll either have to run it in
> something more modern like the cygwin rxvt terminal, or output some
>other way, such as through a GUI.

>With the standard console, I get the same.  But with IDLE, using the
>same Python build but through a different interface

>Scream at Microsoft or try to find or encourage a console
>replacement that Python could use.  In the meanwhile, use IDLE.  Not
>perfect for Unicode, but better.

So, if I understand it correctly, it should work as long as you run
your Python code on something that can actually print the Unicode
character.
Apparently, the Windows command line can not.

I mainly program command line tools to be used by Windows users. So I
guess I am screwed.

Other than converting my tools to have a graphic interface, is there
any other solution, other than give Bill Gates a call and bring his
command line up to the 21st century ?