Tim Rowe digitig at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 11:09:08 EST 2009

2009/1/26 Paul Rubin <"http://phr.cx"@nospam.invalid>:
> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:
>> Quite. Python is a language "for consenting adults".
>
> Shouldn't such a language allow consenting adults to enter a BDSM
> scene without being moralized at, if that's what they want to do? ;-)

The language doesn't stop you. You can shift all of your code over to
Ada if you want to, and although /some/ Pythonistas might shake their
heads in bewilderment, I don't think there would be any moralising.
The question is whether Python has to /provide/ the BDSM scene for
you. I don't think it's realistic for a language to provide every
possible degree of BDSM from BCPL to Ada, Eiffel and beyond. A
language has to be positioned somewhere on the scale, and deciding
whether that's the right point on the scale for you and your project
is part of what being a grown-up programmer is about. One size does
not fit all, one language is not ideal for all applications.

--
Tim Rowe