USB in python

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jan 26 09:25:28 EST 2009

Astan Chee wrote:
> Tim Roberts wrote:
>> Sorry, but you have NOT created a USB device, and I sincerely hope you do
>> not try to plug it in to a real USB port.
>>
> Sorry, by USB device, I meant a device that is powered/activated by a
> bunch of wires that I want to control using a computer and since I had a
> spare USB jack lying around, I used that instead. But so far I haven't
> tried it, nor will try it if it wont work properly. Yes, it is not a
> proper USB device, because I didnt build it to specifically interface
> with the USB port; but I had to start somewhere. Also, the device
> requires more power than the standard parallel port can give.
> Anyway, it looks like the easiest solution for my case is a microcontroller

In which case the Arduino may be a good place to start. The recent
duemilanove boards use USB to communicate with the host, and so the USB
port should be available to the microcontroller. We areg etting some way
away from Python now, of course ...

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119