*.python.org broken?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sat Jan 24 20:56:04 EST 2009

> Is anybody else having trouble accessing sites (including www, docs,
> wiki) in the python.org tree, or is it just me? (Or just .au?)

I've had problems[1] browsing them (most irksomely, the docs)
from Dillo thanks to what are apparently poor handling of IPv6
fallback rules.  Dillo gets an IPv6 IP address back from DNS,
tries it and fails because my ISP or router doesn't talk IPv6.
However Dillo fails to fallback to IPv4 which does work (bug
filed with the Debian maintainers of Dillo[2]).  If I switch to
using a less broken browser (Epiphany, Lynx, FireFox/IceWeasel,
Safari, telnet:80, urllib), it works fine here in the Dallas
area.  If I disable IPv6 on my Linux box (not a great loss at
this point), Dillo works as well.

Tests to check:

  Can you resolve the IP address from the name?
     bash$ dig docs.python.org
     bash$ dig -6 docs.python.org

  Can you ping the target IP address?
     bash$ ping docs.python.org
     bash$ ping 82.94.164.162
    (try ping6 as well)

  Can you traceroute to the IP address (and where does it die)?
     bash$ traceroute docs.python.org
     bash$ traceroute -6 docs.python.org

  Can you telnet:80 to the target IP address?
     bash$ telnet docs.python.org 80
     GET / HTTP/1.1
     host: docs.python.org

  Have you tried from other local ISPs? (cafe, work, school)

-tkc

PS:  Thanks again, Martin, for your tips in troubleshooting this
for me.

[1]
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2008-November/517812.html

[2]