A different kind of interface

Max Erickson maxerickson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 22:16:19 EST 2009

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com wrote:
> Years ago I have found this nice small program, TextCalc:
> http://www.atomixbuttons.com/textcalc/
>
> Despite being very limited and being not integrated with
> everything else, it's so handy that for me in certain situations
> it's the right tool to use when I have to process numbers and
> data in simple ways. It helps me keep all the intermediate
> solutions, you can save the working page just as the text file
> you are seeing, it's "passive", it doesn't go bang, so if you
> want you can use it just a primitive text editor. It does
> something only when you ask it to. And for a basic usage there
> is nearly nothing to remember.

This is mostly an aside to your question, but depending on what you
aredoing, Speq Mathematics may be an improvement over TextCalc. The
homepage is at http://www.speqmath.com/index.php?id=1.

The big differences are that it adds a good deal of functionality
(variables, a larger variety of functions, plotting, etc.) and that
it treats plain text as an error (unless the text is marked as a
comment).

max