<var> is None vs. <var> == None

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 19:49:31 EST 2009

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> var is None is a micro-optimization, but that's not why we do it. We do
> it because usually the correct test is whether var *is* None and not
> merely equal to None. Any random object might happen to equal None
> (admittedly most objects don't), but only None is None.

Additionally, some objects that use rich comparisons to return other objects and not
booleans will simply fail when compared with None. The situations where you are testing
for None are frequently situations where you don't really know the kind of object you
might be getting, either.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."